Medford Lakes is a borough in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 4,146, reflecting a decline of 27 (-0.6%) from the 4,173 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 289 (-6.5%) from the 4,462 counted in the 1990 Census.Medford Lakes was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on May 17, 1939, from portions of Medford Township.The borough's 22 lakes and surrounding lake communities are within the boundaries of the New Jersey Pinelands Commission and are all overseen by the Medford Lakes Colony, a homeowner association that administers lake and other recreation facilities. More than 10% of the borough's homes are log cabins.HistoryCharles Read's Aetna Furnace contributed to the Continental Army's efforts during the American Revolutionary War, using local bog iron to manufacture cannonballs. A part of the industrial life of what is now Medford Lakes was the saw and grist mill erected by John Haines.Medford Lakes was originally developed as a resort community in which all construction would be made of logs. Shiploads of cedar logs were imported and craftsmen fashioned them into palatial homes. Inside and out, the walls were of solid log. Some of the logs had their bark scraped off while other logs were used bark and all. As a porous wood, cedar is an excellent insulator so the cabins were cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The resort enjoyed an extended season because the big stone fireplaces could heat the rustic houses even in the chilliest weather. The Medford Lakes Development Company was formed in 1927, and in 1928 the Colony Club Pavilion was constructed on ground donated by the Development Company.