White Lake Charter Township is a charter township of Oakland County in the U.S. state of Michigan. Together with its two unincorporated communities, the township makes up part of the Detroit metropolitan area. As of the 2010 census, the township population was 30,019.CommunitiesThe Township has no incorporated village and two unincorporated communities: East White Lake was the name of a post office in the township from 1846 until 1850.Oxbow is located at Union Lake and Elizabeth Lake Roads. On June 11, 1873, White Lake Centre Post Office opened here. The Office changed its name to Ox Bow on March 10, 1875 and again in 1894 to Oxbow. On June 29, 1901, the Post Office was closed.White Lake is located at Ormond and White Lake Roads and is mostly known for its National Weather Service office, located within the township. White Lake had a post office initial named as Plainville when it opened on July 11, 1838. The Post Office was renamed White Lake on May 29, 1841 and closed on Jan. 31, 1910. It operated from 1962 to 1976 as a branch/station of Union Lake.GeographyAccording to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of, of which is land and, or 9.44%, is water.Several of the community's large parcels have been preserved as state recreation areas and county parks. Rural residential development and lake living is typical, as the township has 21 lakes within its borders.