The Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education was a medium-sized South African university located in Potchefstroom. Tuition was mainly in Afrikaans. In 2004, the university was merged with other institutions to create the North-West University, and became the Potchefstroom Campus of the newly merged university.HistoryPotchefstroom University developed out of the Theological School of the Reformed Churches in South Africa (Gereformeerde Kerke in Suid-Afrika in Afrikaans, abbreviated as GKSA), which was founded on 29 November 1869 in Burgersdorp, Cape Province. At the founding meeting, it was decided that education would also be offered to prospective teachers and to persons without any particular profession in mind.Initially, there were only five students and two lecturers.In 1877 a "Literary Department" was established, with one professor, with the specific aim of educating students for academic degrees or as teachers.In 1905, the Theological School, including the Literary Department, was transferred from Burgersdorp to Potchefstroom in the Transvaal.In order to qualify for government subsidies, the Literary Department was separated from the Theological School in 1919 and the Potchefstroom University College for Christian Higher Education (Het Potchefstroom Universiteitskollege voor Christelike Hooger Onderwijs in Dutch, and usually abbreviated as PUK) came into being. It was decided that the PUK would be a higher education institute separate and independent from the GKSA, although the PUK would continue to train GKSA ministers.