Cherokee Indian Hospital Authority Official Facebook Page
Cherokee Indian Hospital
The history of the Cherokee Indian Hospital has roots in boarding school when the first facility operated by the Bureau of Indian Affairs offered surgery, outpatient, and inpatient services. The facility had 12 beds, two wards and two private rooms. One physician was in charge of providing health care to the Cherokee people. The building was located close to the current Women’s and Children’s building.
In 1937, the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) built a new hospital. Services offered in this facility included surgery, outpatient, dental, and inpatient. In 1955, the Bureau of Indian Affairs transferred the services and facility to the Department of Health, Education and Welfare who created Indian Health Service (IHS). IHS operated with a staff of 32 including 3 physicians and eight nurses. They had an average of 20,000 outpatient visits a year. In 1974, a modern efficient Outpatient Clinic was added to the hospital. This addition was unique in that it was built and owned by the Eastern Band of Cherokee Nation. This was the first time a tribe had built a facility and leased it to the government. This facility still stands and houses the Unity Healing Center and the Cherokee Police Department.
In October 1980, Chief John Crowe dedicated the present hospital “to the spirit of our people, those who worked before us, those who worked with us, and those children who will someday work after us.” IHS opened this facility in 1981 increasing staff, service and outpatient visits.
Cherokee Indian Hospital has been accredited by the Joint Commission since March 1982.
On September 2, 2002, the Eastern Band of Cherokee Nation assumed ownership of Cherokee Indian Hospital through a compact with Indian Health Service. Resolution
410 established the Cherokee Indian Hospital Authority, as an entity of the Eastern
Band of Cherokee Nation and gave them the authority and power to decide how
services, functions and activities are funded and carried out. Today Cherokee Indian Hospital is an 18 bed facility serving a population of 14,000 Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and their descendants. The facility provided preventative, curative and rehabilitative services.
Staff averages 230 employees seeing, on average, 1700 ambulatory visits, 1500 emergency visits, and
750 dental visits a month. Secondary care is provided through contractors from the private sector and averages around 9,500 referrals a year. Since tribal ownership, Cherokee Indian Hospital has expanded
its infrastructure building a foundation, networking with WNC hospitals, increasing funding revenues
and strengthening financial services. Cherokee Indian Hospital strives to be a “Cherokee community” hospital continuously improving the health status of the tribe and sensitive to the culture and values of
1 Hospital Rd
Call: (828) 497-9163