Telecommunications Services of Trinidad and Tobago Limited is a large telephone and Internet service provider in Trinidad and Tobago. The company, which is jointly owned by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago and Cable & Wireless, was formed out of a merger of Telco and Textel . TSTT no longer holds a monopoly in fixed-line telephone services due to Flow introducing a fixed-line service of their own, and their cellular monopoly was broken in June 2005 when licenses were granted to Digicel and Laqtel.TELCOThe first telephone was introduced in Trinidad and Tobago in 1883 and the first Telephone Exchange was located adjacent to the Town Hall (now City Hall) on Frederick Street. By 1898, the Telephone System had developed sufficiently to justify enactment of the Telephone Communication Ordinance.Around 1890, the telephone service extended westward out of Port of Spain to Carenage and then onwards to one customer in Chaguaramas. In the early 1900s, the government operated telephone lines in rural areas, namely from Arima to Manzanilla and from San Fernando to Cedros. History records show that a Mr. Bell of Bacolet started the service in Tobago.