Shrewsbury Museum and Art Gallery was founded in 1835 as the Museum of the Shropshire and North Wales Natural History and Antiquarian Society Society in Dogpole, Shrewsbury, England. In 1853 the collections were moved to Vaughan's Mansion on College Hill, which became known as the Shropshire and North Wales Museum. After 160 years and two subsequent homes the museum returned to Vaughan's Mansion and the Music Hall Complex after a major redevelopment of the site.HistoryThe Shrewsbury Museum and Art Gallery was founded in 1835 as the Museum of the Shropshire and North Wales Natural History and Antiquarian Society Society in Dogpole, Shrewsbury. In 1853 the collections were moved to Vaughan's Mansion on College Hill, which became known as the Shropshire and North Wales Museum.In 1877 the Society merged with newly formed Shropshire Archaeological Society to become Shropshire Archaeological and Natural History Society. That year the museum accepted a major collection of finds recently excavated at Wroxeter.The museum celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 1885 with the transfer of the museum and library to the recently vacated old Shrewsbury School building. At this time the museum was placed under public ownership (Corporation of Shrewsbury) - becoming Shrewsbury Museum and Free Library.In 1894 the Curator, George Holt, published the Rules of the Shrewsbury Free Museum. These state that: No children under 14 years of age shall be admitted, unless in charge of some responsible person.Persons are not allowed to lean upon the cases, or to touch any of the objects exhibited, and if found so doing, they shall be liable to immediate expulsion.No person shall be admitted who is intoxicated or is in an uncleanly condition, nor shall any smoking be permitted, nor shall any person be allowed to partake of refreshments therein. Playing, gaming, betting, swearing, and spitting, are strictly prohibited, nor shall any dog be admitted.Any person who shall offend against these regulations, or shall be guilty of any misconduct, shall not be allowed to remain within the building. In 1931 'Rowley's House' was acquired by the Corporation of Shrewsbury through the generosity of Morris and Co. for the particular purpose of housing archaeological material from the site of Viroconium Cornoviorum near Wroxeter. The building opened to the public seven years later and became known as the Uriconium or Roman Museum.
Call: +441743 258885