Gloucester City Museum & Art Gallery in Brunswick Road is the main museum in the City of Gloucester. It has recently been extensively renovated following a large National Heritage Lottery Fund grant and it reopened on Gloucester Day, 3 September 2011.The Gloucester Folk Museum is a smaller museum in Westgate Street, dealing with the social history of Gloucestershire.OriginsThe museum opened on 12 March 1860 as a private venture in three rooms at The Black Swan, provided rent-free by the poet Sydney Dobell. In 1896 the Corporation of the City of Gloucester took over the venture.The buildingThe Victorian building, in the early Renaissance style, inspired by the work of T.G. Jackson, is Grade II listed by English Heritage. It was originally the Price Memorial Hall of the Gloucester Science and Art Society, built for Margaret Price as a memorial to her husband William Edwin Price in 1893, and designed by F.S. Waller. The Corporation of the City of Gloucester took over the building as the City Museum & Art Gallery in 1902.Originally only on the ground floor, a first floor was added in 1958 which was opened by the archaeologist Sir Mortimer Wheeler.CollectionsObjects in the museum include: Dinosaur skeletons.Archaeology, including the Rufus Sita Tombstone and the Iron Age Birdlip Mirror found in 1879.Natural history objects.Roman and mediaeval artefacts.Fine and decorative art items, including Delftware, Staffordshire figurines and Arts and Crafts Bowls by Alfred and Louise Powell.Queen Anne furniture.Local history items including items relating to the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company and a bust of local Methodist preacher George Whitfield.