Anderston is a district in the Scottish city of Glasgow. It is on the north bank of the River Clyde and forms the south western edge of the city centre. It was an independent burgh of barony from 1824 until it was incorporated into the City of Glasgow in 1846.The district is served by Anderston railway station.Foundation of AnderstonThe land on which the present day district of Anderston stands was once known as the Bishops Forest. These lands, situated to the west of medieval Glasgow, were granted to the Bishop of Glasgow by King James II of Scotland in 1450.The lands of Stobcross, which occupied part of this area, were the property of the Anderson family from the late 16th century, and here they built their mansion, Stobcross House. Tradition has it that the name came from a wooden cross or ‘stob’ which marked the spot. Stobcross House was demolished in 1875 to make way for Queen’s Dock.Anderston was originally an unproductive section of land which was feued out for weavers cottages in 1725 by James Anderson of Stobcross House. It was named Anderson Town in his honour, later becoming Anderston. It began close to the Gushet farm, which became Anderston Cross and today is the site of the Kingston Bridge which carries the M8 motorway. Ownership of the area changed in 1735 when it was taken over by John Orr. Under his stewardship, dyeing and bleaching was added to weaving and soon large steam-driven looms took over from hand weaving. In those days Anderston had bleachfields down by the river and Main Street consisted of weavers cottages along both sides. As business and trade increased so did the size of Anderston. Finnieston, a nearby village was established in 1768, named for the Rev. John Finnie, the Orr family tutor and soon a busy community was growing up. From its origins as a weaver's village, the area became an industrial centre with the growth of Glasgow's cotton industry. Other industries included engineering, brewing and glassmaking. This led to a large Irish immigrant population moving to the area, and they formed a key part in the character of the area. Thomas Lipton opened his first shop in Stobcross Street. The area would also later become the home of Italian and Asian populations.