The Escola Secundária Artística António Arroio is a secondary school in Lisbon, Portugal that specializes in the applied arts.HistoryThe school was founded in 1919 as the Escola de Arte Aplicada de Lisboa . The patron of the school, Antonio José Arroyo, was an engineer by profession who wrote about literature, music and fine arts. He was also a school inspector, and was devoted to the cause of technical education and the applied arts. It was designated a specialist school for pupils who wanted to engage in industrial art, with a curriculum that included workshop-based training in the arts. Alfredo Roque Gameiro was the head of the school until 1930, when it was merged into the Fonseca Benevides industrial school.The school was reopened in 1934 to meet student demand for a school of applied art. The school was named after the original founder as the Escola Industrial António Arroio . It was located in a building on Rua Almirante Barroso that had been built for the António Augusto Gonçalves ceramics school, founded in 1924, with which it merged. The school was headed by Falcon Trigoso, and in a five-year course covered ceramics, stone carving, lithographic design and other skills as well as fine arts. When technical education was reformed in 1948 the school became the Escola de Artes Decorativas António Arroio, directed by Rogério de Andrade. The painter Lino António became director in 1953 and overhauled the curriculum to include fine arts, lithography, decorative painting, sculpture and pottery, carving and artistic furniture.
Rua Coronel Ferreira do Amaral
Call: 21 816 0330